Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Being, not doing.

I'm definitely finding that in leaving YWAM, a lot of things that God has been trying to teach me for years are coming to the surface again. 

One of these is the whole idea of being, not doing. I'm very good at doing things. Give me a goal, and I'll work to get everything done perfectly. But I've found often, I can get so busy doing things for God, that get too busy to actually spend time with Him. Sure, I'll pray, but it's about figuring out what I need to do, or how to solve a particular problem. 

The whole idea of just sitting and being with God is a struggle for me. I need to know what I am achieving, what is the goal, and I need to be able to see the progress I am making.  But God keeps reminding me, that it's not about goals and getting things done. He wants my priority to be knowing Him, not doing stuff for Him.  

Now, I know this really should be a basic lesson. Yet, it's something I constantly struggle with. And especially in this season where I'm going to be taking a break from ministry, it's coming up again. Where do I find my identity, if I'm not doing ministry? How do I show God how good I am? How do I prove my value to everyone else? 

Now I have to keep going back to Him to find out what He says about me. I can't just rely on the sense of accomplishment, or knowing that I'm impacting other people's lives. I have plenty of time - so I can't use the excuse of being too busy to spend time with God, but I still need to take the time to just sit and listen for what He wants to say to me. 

 While this could be a challenging thing for me to work through, I'm glad that God is leading me into this time of focusing on Him, because in the long run it's going to be well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment